Thursday, July 26, 2007

Toman Branch

The original entrance for this blended branch of old and new on Pulaski and 26th, smack dab in the middle of the 26th street commercial corridor. The old portion of the library dates from 1923 and is named after a politician of the times. It has beautiful brick work, and a fireplace inside.



The soaring new entrance here, attached to the older building. What a wonderful way to preserve its history while making the library an inviting place for the community to meet and access all the perks of a contemporary space.
I found this by mistake, on my convoluted route to Midway airport to pick up my daughter for a visit. I was looking for a different library branch on Archer, but as I was driving saw the old brick out of the corner of my eye and quickly pulled over. I even found the new Harry Potter available on the day after its release, as well as a selection of foodie related books. It was a wonderful collection, and friendly workers-- speaking spanish and english alternately as needed. Some public art on the walls, and filled with folks using the computers, reading, and relaxing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive

About Me

Followers

Counter