Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Conrad Sulzer Regional Library

This is one of 2 regional libraries in the city, the only ones that are open on a Sunday. It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood, right across from a large park, with many folks walking and playing in the shadow of the library. Unfortunately, coming inside revealed a jumble of an interior, without a clear way to find what you were looking for. The first floor has a large video department, with a separated area for check out, and harried looking clerks
I was looking for a particular title, for my book club, a memoir, so I searched awhile for a lookup computer, and when I wrote down the call number, I went upstairs to find it. I found a worker, and asked for help finding it, as the shelves were arranged in a way I wasn't familiar with. Apparently the CPL uses the Library of Congress classification system which has a series of letters and numbers for non fiction instead of the Dewey Decimal system used by many public libraries. When I asked, she told me I hadn't written down the letters for the book, and directed me to another person to look it up. We laughed at my lack of experience with the system. The next person was downright rude, and told me haughtily, that this system has been used for 25 years in the CPL and acted like I was an idiot. I can't understand how a person whose job is to assist the public can have such a snotty attitude. Not appreciated. Made an already iffy experience into a completely negative one. How can one library branch feel so different from another? Is it staff, architecture, leadership of the head librarian? This branch has so much going for it with its gorgeous building and environs, why is it so tatty and unpleasant inside? Maybe big is not always better.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Followers

Counter