Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Midwest Branch (Closed) Replaced by West Town Branch 9/2010

It's the first week of official spring, and its snowing in Chicago. I'm on my spring break, so I want to check out a new library branch, and renew a book that's almost overdue. I had a trouble finding this little storefront in the snow, its right off the Western/Chicago intersection, but so tiny, it's not readily visible. The branch is probably the smallest I've been in yet, but a sort of cozy jumble of current books, a few computers, library materials and a front desk as you walk in. The clerk did not immediately understand that I was returning 2 books, and renewing one- but after some round and round, we figured out what we were trying to do. I did notice as I was driving nearby, a lot with a sign stating "future home of branch library", so this community is probably going to have a new building in a few years, to replace the Midwest Branch.
9/2010  Addendum, apparently the replacement library is in the old Goldblatt's building and is called West Town.

I'ts hard to know if this is Ukranian Village West, Humboldt Park, or West Town, but whatever the name it's a funky area where you can find almost anything. I stopped for a snack at the Star Lounge Cafe a few blocks west of the library. It looks like an old bar turned coffee shop with great caffeine products and baked goods from Southport Grocery. It was warm inside as the last snow of the season gently floated outside on Chicago Avenue.



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Followers

Counter