Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Avalon Branch

Another beautiful new library, on that wide commercial thoroughfare, Stony Island. If you're not a south sider, Stony is probably not a street that means anything to you. But I grew up 5 blocks, from 87th and Stony and it was the major way to get to somewhere. It speeds quickly north to Hyde Park, and still has the soaring street bridge that gets you onto the Skyway. It flies over 79th Street, where you can still see the moorish tops of an old movie theater and 50's Sears store. It looked so much the same that it was startling. You can see Ace Live Bait and Chicken, Ribs and Fish right down the street-- with the skyway up above.
This is a wonderful branch, with a little garden outside with benches that face the side street, and plenty of light and books and books. I was so happy to see it there, so much nicer than the small dark place a few blocks up that was my childhood library, now an empty storefront. Even then I loved to go there, but I can imagine how much we would have adored this place.
I explored the surrounding streets, going past my old house and school and driving back North on Jeffrey Boulevard into Jackson Park. It was an old route, one that I still sometimes travel in deep dreams.
This will be my last update for awhile, fitting that I went last to the site of my first library visits. I'm back at work, and will only be able to visit randomly. I still hope to see all the CPL Branches, it just may be awhile.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Followers

Counter